Light Brigade  

Go Back   Light Brigade > General Assembly > Light Brigade Recruitment
Connect with Facebook

Light Brigade Recruitment Are you looking for a new guild home? Let us know here!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 AM

Default Ionadh's Unoffical Guide for Writing a Successful Light Brigade Application

Hello! Welcome to Ionadh’s unofficial guide on writing a guild application for Light Brigade! Now, you might be thinking to yourself “Why should I read this or listen to this guy?” – and you would be right on track with that thought. I’m no one of particular importance, not an officer (…I pity the poor souls…), and am just someone who reads and comments on a lot of our applications in the snazzy private forum where we look at them after you post them. After doing that for quite a long time, though, I’ve noticed some themes that applicants might want to avoid.

So without further ado, here is my “top tips you might consider when filling out a Light Brigade raid application”! Feel free to ignore the suggestions, but I think you’ll find that if you follow them you have a much higher rate of success.

Tip #1: We like our guild charter, and as a potential raider, you should too.

The guild charter is the heart of how Light Brigade is governed. It will tell you how things are run, what expectations are, and what happens if you break the rules. It is an important document, and while you don’t have to memorize it by heart it would be nice if you demonstrate in your application that you actually read the document.

Tip #2: Your gear should show a level of dedication appropriate for a raiding guild.

Gear does not make the player, but without the gear you won’t be able to kill bosses. Your gear should show that you are dedicated at least enough to get the best-in-slot items available to you outside a raid. For the first tier of content, for example, that would includes all reputation epics, best-in-slot non-raid heroic blues, and a reasonable amount of crafted epics. It would also include rare-quality ("blue") gems and all but the most expensive (maelstrom crystal) enchants. If you are using uncommon ("green") gems or enchants from a previous tier of content, it generally shows you're not concerned about maximizing your character's potential and that could raise red flags.

Tip #3: Showing you have a respectable amount of knowledge about your class is a plus.

It takes little effort to find your “best raiding spec” on elitist jerks and mash buttons in the order that elitist jerks tells you. In fact, monkeys have been trained to mash buttons in certain orders in response to external stimulus. Being a raider means more than that – it means you understand your class and talents enough to know when you should deviate from the generic specialization, and it means you know how to react when things don’t go as planned in a raid. You should consider, therefore, answering application questions in a way that show you know about your class at a depth required for hard mode raiding.

Tip #4: We really do care about your raiding experience.

When you put in your application, for the most part you won’t know us and we won’t know you. The only thing we have to go off of is what you’ve written and your armory profile. If your raid experience is obviously not in line with Light Brigade’s historical progress, you should explain why you think you're still a good fit. For example, we might find it odd that you did 4/12 Icecrown Citadel 10-man normal modes when we did 11/12 Icecrown Citadel 25-man heroic modes, but if you let us know that it’s because you had to quit the game for a few months due to real life commitments it makes things look much better on your end.

Tip #5: Generally, more detail is better than less on your application.

Again, generally the application is the first impression Light Brigade will have of you. That you cared enough to answer all the questions in detail shows a level of dedication to joining that looks good on you. Answering questions in ways that are incomplete, or show that you didn’t actually read the question, or make no sense in the context of the question, do not look good for you.

Last edited by Teneral; 03-04-2011 at 08:39 AM.