Light Brigade

Light Brigade (http://www.lightbrigades.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guild News and Announcements (http://www.lightbrigades.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Blizzard Authenticators (http://www.lightbrigades.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2834)

Teneral 08-04-2009 10:47 AM

Blizzard Authenticators

It looks like the Blizzard Authenticators are back in stock. I cannot state enough how strongly I encourage everyone to get an authenticator for their account. There are two main kinds of authenticators. The first is the physical "keychain" one that costs $6.50.

Blizzard Authenticator

If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch (free) or select other mobile phones ($0.99), you can also get a Mobile Authenticator to use from your phone.

Please review the Account Security and You! thread as well.

Korelana 08-04-2009 11:00 AM

Got my order in... can never be too safe with all of the garbage on the web :)

LuringShadow 08-04-2009 11:45 AM

I simply avoid questionable adult sites and have had no problems :D

I use the keychain type one for remoting into work's VPN and that's way too much hastle for me (lazy bastard lol)

Teneral 08-04-2009 12:54 PM

Unfortunately, "questionable adult sites" aren't the only possible sources these days. Just last week, worldofraids.com briefly had an advertisement on it that made use of a Flash vulnerability to install a trojan on people's systems. (BTW, everyone should go download the Flash update.) So, you can even get compromised only going to normally-safe sites like worldofraids, MMO-Champion, etc.

I've had and used the physical authenticator since it debuted. Yes, it's slightly more effort to log in than it used to be (by all of maybe 5 seconds to press a button and type in 6 numbers), but the peace of mind I get from the additional security is hands-down worth the slight hassle.

Just ask Tig, Brink, etc. (anyone who's gotten compromised before) if the hassle is worthwhile...

Paribus 08-04-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teneral (Post 15203)
Yes, it's slightly more effort to log in than it used to be (by all of maybe 5 seconds to press a button and type in 6 numbers)

Five extra seconds?! Who has that kinda time to throw around?

sharlla 08-05-2009 03:05 PM

Tig still thinks it is worth it to have the security even if he has to deal with little munchkins walking off with it and leading to a frantic search 10 minutes before raid time.

I on the other and am not convinced yet, but am leaning towards one for my account.

Vlarian 08-05-2009 03:40 PM

Sharlla you can use Tigs on your account as well....just an FYI :):) and if you ask me you should do it. Everyone should have one. The original one I had broke down and in a weeks time got the trojan and well you all know how that turned out. I have the one that ten sent me and am still waiting on the one blizz said they shipped out......so if they are in guys everyone should just get one. I personally think that blizz should send one with the next expansion.....would save more money not having to spend time on recovering accounts/items/gold then what it would cost to throw one in every box they ship to the stores.

Vlarian

Ordin 08-15-2009 07:28 AM

On the Blizz store website the authenticator says starcraft on it.Is that the one we need or are they sold out already?

Teneral 08-15-2009 08:09 AM

That's the one. The "Blizzard Account" is actually a broad one for all Blizz products. You can even associate your old Starcraft and (I think) Warcraft III copies with it if you want. Though I don't think the authenticator would actually be used for anything but WoW right now.

Ordin 08-15-2009 08:34 AM

Thx Teneral.